Goat hotpot is a delicious way to combine the rich flavour of goat with various types of herbs and vegetables. The dish is especially great for family gathering and best served in cold winter days.
• 1.5 pounds goat meat
• 5 scallions
• 2 tbsp garlic
• 1 tbsp turmeric
• 2 pounds rice noodle (can be dried or fresh one)
• 5 tomatoes
• 1 tbsp lemongrass
• 1 tbsp ginger
• 1 tbsp chopped green onions
• Vietnamese cilantro and thorny coriander (see Vietnamese herbs)
• 2 cans (1 pound each) of chicken broth
• Salt and pepper, fish sauce, fresh chili
• Other vegetables such as mushroom, okra, bok choy to serve with the hotpot.
1. Finely chop scallion, ginger and lemongrass.
2. Slice goat meat into thin slice and marinate with garlic, ginger, turmeric powder, 2 tbsp of fish sauce and 1 tsp of pepper.
3. Heat oil to boil and stir fry the garlic, scallions and lemongrass until fragrant. Then put the goat meat in to stir fry for 10 minutes, and pour chicken broth in to boil. Bring water to a boil over medium low heat, and add sliced tomatoes.
4. Cook over low heat until goat meat become tender, add salt and pepper to taste and you get the hotpot broth.
5. Arrange washed veggies and cooked noodle on plates to serve with hotpot.